Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 Ranking, Insurance Law, Greenville
- Team members practice in all state and federal courts.
- Team members are active in national defense organizations including IADC, FDCC, and DRI.
- Insurance and Reinsurance Coverage Team members have over 171 years of combined experience representing clients in insurance coverage matters.
Insurance Coverage Team
The Insurance Coverage Team has extensive experience handling a variety of matters, including personal, commercial, excess, and umbrella policies. The team’s focus includes all aspects of insurance defense and insurance law including both first and third party claims. The team actively practices in both State and Federal Courts in North and South Carolina and also provides coverage advice and handles litigated matters in other jurisdictions in the United States. Types of coverage matters often handled by the team include:
- Commercial General Liability
- Commercial Auto Liability
- Construction Contractor’s Liability
- Director’s and Officer’s Liability
- Environmental Liability
- First Party Property
- Garage Liability
- Homeowners’ Policies
- Inland Marine/Cargo Policies
- Owner’s, Landlord’s, and Tenant’s Liability
- Personal Automobile Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Valuation of Property
A significant focus of the team is the litigation of first party and third party claims, as well as assisting in the investigation and handling of pre-suit claims involving property losses, fire and theft losses, arson, and potentially fraudulent claims. Team members practice in all state and federal courts, and give coverage advice and opinions to clients in situations where lawsuits have not yet been filed. In addition to the coverage issues mentioned above, the Insurance Coverage Team have advised clients on the following matters:
- Defense of first party and third party breach of contract and bad faith claims.
- Instituting or defending declaratory judgment actions.
- Moving to intervene in ongoing litigation for the purpose of resolving pending coverage issues.
- Preparation of written coverage opinions.
- Preparation of reservation of rights letters, declination of coverage letters, and non-waiver agreements.
- First-party case management services, including assistance with claims investigations, examinations under oath of insureds, and evaluation of claims.
- Advice and counsel on claims handling procedure.
With the team’s extensive experience in both insurance law and class action litigation, the Insurance Coverage team attorneys have a unique skill set that is essential to insurance clients when defending them against insurance-related class action claims. The team’s bad-faith claims experience includes both commercial and personal lines of insurance coverage. GWB handles a wide variety of bad-faith claim issues, but often handles alleged claims related to the following:
- Unreasonable handling of an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim
- Evaluation of a first-party loss
- Misrepresentation of the scope of a policy’s coverage
- Violation of South Carolina’s Consumer Protection Code
- Unfair claim settlement practices
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Delayed or denial of payment of benefits
The team’s clients are located internationally and include well-known publicly traded and privately held insurers. Many of their clients have been with the firm long-term and have continued to turn to GWB for counsel over the years. A sample of these clients include:
- Accident Insurance Company
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- The Cincinnati Insurance Companies
- The Hartford
- The Motorists Insurance Group
- National Fire & Marine Insurance Company
- QBE Insurance Group
- Sentry Insurance
- State Auto Insurance Companies
- State Farm
- Tower Insurance
Lloyd’s of London & Bermuda
Lloyd’s of London is an international insurance and reinsurance consortium for international companies based out of London, England, with affiliates in Bermuda. Lloyd’s provides a market where investors, brokers, and underwriters join together as syndicates to insure risks. The majority of the business written at Lloyd’s is placed through brokers who then reduce the risk to clients (policyholders) and underwriters by spreading that risk out over several investors. The Insurance and Reinsurance Coverage Team regularly travels to London and Bermuda to meet with and speak to clients and others in the Lloyd’s market. The team advises these clients on claims and the best course of action to mitigate, mediate, or litigate the issues at hand. Claims handled by the team often relate to the following:
- Liability Insurance
- Liability Self-Insurance
- No-Fault Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Law
Insuralex is an organization of independent law firms that focus their practice on insurance and reinsurance law. This focus often includes issues related to coverage, insurance defense, litigation, and dispute resolution. Insurance Group leader David Rheney is the South Carolina representative for Insuralex and GWB shareholder John T. Lay is also heavily involved with the organization. Clients of firms involved with Insuralex obtain significant advantages when complex matters arise. Different local laws and procedures may affect how insurance laws and claims are applied across state and international borders. A client will be able to navigate these complexities by using a group of lawyers from different jurisdictions who are each focused in their respective national insurance and reinsurance law jurisdictions but who are also affiliated to work with each other. This collaboration provides clients with the highest level of defense for their insurance or reinsurance law matter.
In 2014, the Chambers Global Guide to Law Firms, which contains a list of recommended global networks of firms, created a new practice area category for specialist insurance world-wide networks. Insuralex has been selected to be listed in this new category.
Eagle International Associates
Eagle International Associates is a global network of independent law firms, adjusters and claims related service providers throughout the United States and Europe. Eagle members are dedicated to providing insurance companies and self-insureds with the highest quality legal and adjusting services for competitive and fair compensation. As members, we are committed to the highest ethical standards and act with professionalism and civility in all our endeavors.
Available Client Education and Training CEUs
Insurance and Reinsurance Coverage Team members routinely provide CEUs in the form of in-house presentations and seminars for both insurance and corporate clients. These CEUs often deal with recent and developing trends in insurance coverage law and legislation, but can also be tailored to address the specific needs and concerns of the client in question. CEUs currently offered by GWB insurance attorneys are listed below:
- How to Avoid Bad Faith Claims
- Discovery in Coverage and Bad Faith Actions
- E-Discovery in Coverage and Bad Faith Actions
- General Coverage Updates
David Rheney Named Lawyer of Year for Greenville by Best Lawyers in America
GWB is pleased to announce the selection of T. David Rheney as “Lawyer of the Year” in Insurance Law for Greenville by Best Lawyers.
South Carolina Supreme Court Gives Life to Doctrine of Reasonable Expectations
For many years, South Carolina valiantly resisted the urge to join in the reasonable expectations movement. Recently, however, signs emerged that the SC Supreme Court might be looking to rethink its position.
D&O Insurance In The Dodd-Frank Era: What You Need To Know To Protect Your Directors And Officers
It’s 5:00 p.m. on a Friday, and one of your company’s directors informs you that he and your company were just sued. What are the obligations of the company and its insurer to the director? What if the defendant is you?