Thomas J. Twehues is a workers’ compensation defense attorney in the firm’s Greenville, South Carolina, office. He defends employers, insurance carriers, self-insured corporations, third party administrators and claims servicing agencies in workers’ compensation matters. He handles all stages of job-related injury claims including:
- Initial investigations
- Advice regarding compensability
- Risk/benefit analysis
- Cost assessment and containment
- Medical provider management
Additionally, Thomas represents clients in all stages of the litigation process, from initial evaluation through litigation, mediation and appeal. He also represents a variety of clients in different industries with a particular focus on the healthcare industry. Thomas served as a legal affairs intern at Prisma Health, formerly known as the Greenville Health System, the largest healthcare system in South Carolina.
Prior to joining the firm, Thomas was a staff attorney for the South Carolina Court of Appeals in Columbia. While serving the court, he regularly prepared bench memoranda evaluating arguments raised on appeal, provided recommendations and proposed opinions on a variety of legal issues to the judiciary. He also analyzed, presented and provided recommendations to the judges on filed motions.
During his time at Clemson, Thomas interned with the Pebble Beach Company as a professional golf management intern. After graduation, he worked as the first assistant golf professional at Craft Farms in Gulf Shores, Alabama, and as an assistant golf professional at the Reserve at Lake Keowee before attending law school at the University of South Carolina.
Thomas always strives to provide the highest level of client service. He works with clients to ensure the smallest detail is accounted for and provide timely communications to clients on the status of their matters. The combination of these two services allows Thomas to often exceed the expectations of his clients.
B.S., Parks Recreation and Tourism Management (2010)
University of South Carolina School of Law
- South Carolina Bar
Associations & Professional Memberships
- Professional Golfers’ Association, Class A Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers (2022)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Workers’ Compensation
- Greenville Business Magazine
- Legal Elite: Workers’ Compensation (2018-2021)
- Irving Steinberg Memorial Award (2015)
- PGA Membership (2011)
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division, Star of the Quarter Award
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Backpack Drive Committee, Co-Chair
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer