Join OUR TEAM
Careers at Gallivan White Boyd
Simply stated, we believe Gallivan White Boyd is an excellent place to work. The people are interesting, the work is challenging and the firm features diverse personalities and backgrounds all working toward the common goal of excellent client service. Gallivan White Boyd values teamwork and respect of co-workers, and puts the needs of the firm before individual goals and agendas.
Gallivan White Boyd is proud to employ staff members in two states and four offices in North Carolina and South Carolina. The firm believes effective communication practices within the offices are crucial to a healthy work environment. To foster communication and efficiency, supervising attorneys and firm management are easily accessible. All firm managers, including the managing partner and chief administrative officer, are readily available contacts for all employees.
Each year, Gallivan White Boyd recruits associates from law schools throughout the region. The firm hires attorneys who have demonstrated academic excellence and who have outstanding leadership, advocacy and legal writing skills.
Compensation & Benefits
Gallivan White Boyd offers highly competitive salaries commensurate with level of experience. In addition, our associates have the opportunity to earn significant performance-based bonuses. The firm also provides a profit-sharing plan, 401(k) plan, cafeteria plan, health insurance coverage, life insurance and both short term and long term disability benefits. Associates who join Gallivan White Boyd immediately after graduating from law school may also receive a signing bonus and have the opportunity to earn an additional bonus by completing South Carolina’s Rule 403 trial requirements before joining the firm. The firm also pays state and county Bar Association dues, CLE expenses and membership dues in approved professional and civic organizations.
Legal careers and employment opportunities at the firm are highly sought after and include extremely competitive compensation and benefits packages. Benefits may include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Profit Sharing Plan with 401(k) Option
- Generous Paid Leave
- Bi-Monthly Paychecks
- Vision Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- ID Theft/Legal Services Insurance
- Firm HSA Contribution
- Paid Holidays
- Support for involvement in professional organizations and continuing education
Employee Recognition Programs
Gallivan White Boyd is interested in candidates with high ethical standards, outstanding legal support skills, an understanding of and appreciation for technology, excellent attention to detail and organization, the desire to problem-solve, a positive attitude and a cooperative team spirit. The firm values educational achievement, relevant legal experience, excellent references, and an outstanding attitude when making employment decisions.
There are no openings at this time. Attorneys interested in joining Gallivan White Boyd should contact:
A. Grayson Smith
Curtis L. Ott
Defense Litigation Legal Assistant
Location: Charleston, Greenville
The legal assistant is responsible for increasing attorney efficiency and enabling the firm to provide excellent client service. Employees in this position coordinate office activities for attorneys, performing a variety of legal secretarial duties such as scheduling hearings, preparing legal documents and correspondence, docketing cases and maintaining court dockets and diaries. Responsibilities also include filing and providing information and direction to others. The work requires knowledge of legal, secretarial and office practices.
A successful candidate must possess the ability to prioritize and function in a fast-paced, multi office environment with competing priorities, be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and have the ability to communicate in a clear and professional manner.
- 1-2 years legal secretarial experience preferred (defense litigation; large volume)
- Ability to determine work priorities
- Excellent communication skills
- Skilled typing ability and knowledge of case management systems
- Ability to compose correspondence and reports
- Knowledge of court and administrative hearing rules and procedures
- Knowledge of correct grammar usage—spelling, punctuation and legal terminology
- Knowledge of the organization and composition of business letters, minutes, reports, charts, numerical and tabular materials
- Knowledge of the techniques of receiving callers, making appointments, giving information, and explaining instructions and guidelines
- Ability to work individually or in a team setting
- Willingness to participate in shared office duties and requirements
- Experience with legal case management software is a plus
The firm offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short term and long term disability, a profit-sharing plan with a 401(k) option, generous paid leave and vacation, support for involvement in legal staff organizations, staff educational meetings and employee recognition programs.
Operations Assistant (FT)
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially and take proper precautions to protect information electronically and physically
- Ability to multitask efficiently
- Ability to work with all levels of staff and management
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
- Perform duties with accuracy, quality and integrity
- Handle simultaneous projects effectively; multitask and remain flexible to last-minute changes
- Work in a team environment, while maintaining a pleasant disposition
- Work independently while using appropriate level of discretion to complete projects/assignments as directed
- Detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide administrative assistance to all office staff and attorneys
- Retrieve, scan and sort mail
- Maintain conference center organization / setup for meetings
- Event setup
- File documents
- Add to indexes
- Courier responsibilities
- Run various errands
- Respond efficiently and effectively to staff and attorneys
- Perform all duties efficiently and timely
- Cross-check and validate information
- Participate in shared office duties and requirements
- All other duties as required
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous legal office experience preferred
The firm offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Benefits for full-time employees include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short term and long term disability, a profit-sharing plan with a 401(k) option, generous paid leave and vacation, support for involvement in legal staff organizations, and staff educational meetings and employee recognition programs.
Applicants interested in joining Gallivan White Boyd should contact:
Employee Relations Manager
Gallivan, White & Boyd, P.A.
Post Office Box 10589
Greenville, South Carolina 29603
Training & Development
Associate Training Program
The firm’s success depends on the performance of our associates. Our extensive associate training program helps young lawyers develop practical trial and advocacy skills that otherwise take years to cultivate. Gallivan White Boyd provides a formal in-house training program that covers topics such as taking effective depositions, cross-examining experts at trial and business development and marketing. The firm also sends its litigation associates to trial academies sponsored by the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) and the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association (SCDTAA). Gallivan White Boyd associates also receive constructive feedback during biannual reviews conducted by the firm’s Associate Committee.
We believe the development of our associate attorneys and their ability to provide excellent legal service to our clients is critical to repeating success. To assist associates, Gallivan White Boyd pairs each associate with a firm partner who serves as the associate’s mentor. The mentor provides support and guidance during the attorney’s tenure as an associate. This mentorship allows an associate to seek professional guidance and advice regarding their law practice to develop business and professional relationships with clients.
Gallivan White Boyd prides itself on hiring future partners, not just lawyers. Every new associate at the firm has an equal opportunity to invest in their future and the end goal is the reward of partnership. We believe our associates are the future of Gallivan White Boyd.
Community and Pro Bono Services
The firm is a long-standing, respected member of surrounding communities, the South Carolina Bar and North Carolina State Bar. Accordingly, we take an active role in civic and professional organizations and emphasize giving back to the community through community service and pro bono commitments.
SEND US A MESSAGE
Use the form below to contact us.