Carter is a corporate and business litigation attorney, representing companies and their owners in business torts and contract claims in federal and state court. He regularly handles complex litigation involving construction, real estate, and development, including breach of contract and warranty claims, construction defect matters, product liability, payment issues and liens, restrictive covenants, and catastrophic personal injury claims.
Carter represents business owners, investors, developers, general contractors, residential builders, specialty subcontractors, design professionals, material and equipment suppliers, real property owners, and lenders. Carter also represents clients in projects and related litigation of design defects, employment matters, zoning and land use planning issues, shareholder disputes, and payment disputes. Carter has extensive experience in collections matters, such as mechanic’s liens, enforcement of promissory notes, personal guarantees, post-judgment enforcement, and commercial foreclosures. Representative matters have involved:
- Complex breach of contract matters involving commercial real estate developments.
- Multi-million-dollar class action construction defect cases.
- High-value delay and liquidated damages claims.
- Wrongful death matters arising from construction projects.
- Complex breach of warranty claims involving heavy equipment.
- Contentious disputes involving non-competition and non-solicitation clauses.
- Collection and enforcement of judgments against companies and individuals.
- Corporate breakups and buyout disputes.
In addition to his litigation practice, Carter enjoys assisting businesses with general advice and counsel, as well drafting and reviewing contracts relating to risk transfer, construction, insurance, employment, payment structures, and ownership of real property. Carter also serves as outside and local counsel to out-of-state businesses and firms.
Prior to private practice, Carter served as clerk to the Honorable Edward W. Miller of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina. He is a life-long South Carolina resident and enjoys handling cases across the State, taking advantage of the firm’s Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston offices.
University of South Carolina
Yale Interdisciplinary Center for Bioethics
Research Program (2013)
University of South Carolina School of Law
- South Carolina Bar
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Associations & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Greenville County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (SCDTAA)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Litigation- Construction
- Greenville Business Magazine
- Legal Elite: Business Litigation; Construction; Insurance (2020-2021)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (SCDTAA), Trial Academy (2016)
- Greenville County Bar, Pro Bono Program
- The Meyer Center Impact! Committee, Member
- Opportunity Greenville
- United Way
- Loaned Executive Program
- Palmetto Society