John Cuttino is a shareholder in GWB’s Columbia, South Carolina, office. He has 32 years of experience as a trial attorney in the state and federal courts of South Caroline. John has handled cases in 40 of South Carolina’s 46 counties, in all Divisions of U.S. District Court in South Carolina, and has tried more than 75 cases to verdict. His practice is focused on the litigation of a variety of matters including class actions, design and construction defects, toxic and mass torts, insurance coverage, tort and personal injury, intellectual property, products liability, and professional negligence. John is regularly retained by insurers, self-insureds, risk management entities, corporations, and individuals in the defense of matters related but not limited to:
- Catastrophic Personal Injury Including Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
- Pharmacy Liability
- Residential and Commercial Construction Defects
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Asbestos Personal Injury and Property Damage
- Toxic Mold
- Building Products
John approaches each case with an experienced understanding of many of the nuances surrounding litigation. His exemplary litigation skills were developed trying cases in state and federal courts throughout South Carolina. He has represented a diverse range of clients with significant litigated matters in jury trials, bench trials, and arbitration forums. John understands that litigation is a difficult and unsettling experience for individuals and businesses. As a result of this understanding, he works closely with clients to accommodate their needs and objectives, determining the most effective and efficient ways to resolve a case.
John states, “The effectiveness of our country’s civil legal system depends on the effectiveness of the adversarial process. Having an experienced, aggressive, and well-prepared advocate is in my clients’ best interest throughout the litigation process, even if their dispute never reaches the courtroom. In fact, it may be the best way to avoid the courtroom.”
Articles, Presentations & Publications
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- American Society for Pharmacy Law
- DRI – The Voice of The Defense Bar
- President, 2016 to present
- President-Elect, 2015 – 2016
- First Vice President, 2014 – 2015
- Second Vice President, 2013 – 2014
- Secretary-Treasurer 2012 – 2013
- Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012
- Construction Law Committee, Chair, 2007 – 2009
- Eagle International Associates, Inc.
- Chairman, Board of Directors, 2011-2013
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Lawyers for Civil Justice (LCJ)
- Board of Directors
- Litigation Counsel of America
- National Foundation for Judicial Excellence (NFJE)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (1983-Present)
- United States Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Permanent Member
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Leadership in Law Honoree – South Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Best Lawyers in America
- Litigation – Construction, 2008 to Present
- Product Liability Litigation-Defendants, 2010 to Present
- Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, 2016 to Present
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation, 2008 to Present
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ – AV®
- Represented a structural steel erector in a lawsuit filed by the County Council of a South Carolina county against multiple defendants, alleging the presence of toxic mold in a prefabricated metal building housing the Sheriff’s Department. The case was resolved favorably prior to trial.
- Served as South Carolina counsel in litigation involving bond claims against a specialty concrete supplier who participated in building a structure in which military jet engines are tested. John worked closely with national counsel and experts to position the case for a successful mediation.
- Served as South Carolina counsel for an international manufacturer of Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS) products, handling over 100 litigated cases which were prepared for trial and mediation.
Retail Pharmacy Liability
- Represents a national pharmacy concern in cases involving alleged incorrectly filled prescriptions resulting in personal injury to consumers.
Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Represented a national youth sports athletic trade association in a suit by the family of young baseball player who was struck in the head by a batted ball, resulting in catastrophic brain injury. John worked with sport experts and engineers skilled at testing the performance of aluminum baseball bats, and earned a favorable result for the association prior to trial.
- Represented a trucking company whose 18-wheeler was involved in a multiple vehicle accident in smoke which had blown across an interstate highway. The plaintiff was the occupant of one of several vehicles involved in the accident and was grievously injured. After a two-week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict in favor of the trucking company.
- Served as local trial counsel for a national beer manufacturer in a trademark/trade dress infringement action in federal court. The case involved a dispute over the alleged unauthorized use of the likeness and appearance of the beer manufacturer’s logo and design on its cans.
- Served as local trial counsel for a national container-packaging manufacturer in a patent infringement action in federal court. The case involved a dispute over the rights to a specific manufacturing process for tennis ball containers.
- Huguenot Society of South Carolina, President, 2012-2014
- Columbia World Affairs Council, Former Chair of the Board
- Society of First Families of South Carolina 1670-1700
- South Carolina Historical Society
- South Carolina Bar
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Judicial Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1982
- Wofford College, B.A., cum laude, 1979
Testimonial - Person
Coach John Wooden
Never mistake activity for achievement.