Jessica Laffitte is Of Counsel in the firm’s Columbia office. Jessica focuses her practice on a range of litigation matters primarily related to professional negligence, insurance coverage issues, transportation, and business and commercial litigation. She devotes a large portion of her professional liability practice to healthcare issues and dental, and medical malpractice matters. These matters often concern issues related to trust account maintenance, informed consent, wrongful extraction, and failure to diagnose. In addition to these matters, Jessica handles CMS survey appeals and regulatory matters.
Jessica also devotes a significant amount of time to transportation, advising and defending insurers, self-insured corporations, and third-party risk managers on complex litigation matters involving tort liability and risk management issues.
Additionally, she regularly advises clients on insurance coverage issues with a particular emphasis on the existence and scope of coverage for a variety of claims including commercial first-party policies, declaratory judgment litigation, and bad faith litigation. Jessica’s business and commercial litigation experience encompasses a wide range of topics that are often related to::
- financial services agreements
- commercial property disputes
- construction defect litigation of large and small residential projects
Jessica is also a member of the firm’s Appellate Team. Her previous clerkship with the Honorable John W. Kittredge at the Supreme Court of South Carolina provided her invaluable appellate analysis and advocacy skills that she now implements while handling various appeals for clients.
Jessica is dedicated to exceeding the expectations of her clients and believes that consistent and reliable communication with the client is imperative to the success of a matter. It is her goal to provide a high level of communication with competent legal advice in order to attain the highest level of client satisfaction.
Articles, Presentations & Publications
Associations & Memberships
- DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- South Carolina Bar, Young Lawyers Division
- South Carolina Bar, iCivics Committee, Guest Lecturer
Honors and Awards
- Elected member of the Midlands Legal Elite
- Federal Courts Law Review, Publications Editor
- CALI Awards: Legal Research & Writing, Contracts I, Contracts II, Civil Procedure II, Equity
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Junior League of Columbia
- Downtown Columbia YMCA, Board of Directors
- The Palladium Society, Historic Columbia, Member
- Columbia Museum of Art Contemporaries, Member
- South Carolina, 2011
- J.D., Charleston School of Law, summa cum laude, 2011
- B.A., University of South Carolina, magna cum laude, 2008
Testimonial - Person
Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing.