Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- Team leader Tom Vanderbloemen was named 2014 Lawyer of Year for Intellectual Property Litigation in Greenville, South Carolina, by Best Lawyers in America, has been recognized as an Intellectual Property Legal Elite by Greenville Business Magazine, is AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and is a registered patent attorney.
- Team leader Tom Vanderbloemen serves on the Board of Directors of the Carolina Patent, Trademark & Copyright Association and has presented to regional and national groups and authored articles on intellectual property and technology legal issues.
- Team members represent clients in intellectual property litigation concerning patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and technology-related matters.
- The team also represents business and start-ups concerning acquisition, licensing, and management of intellectual property assets.
- GWB handles trademark searching, registration, licensing, and related services.
- Intellectual property team members work closely with corporate and employment teams on overlapping issues, including business issues that involve IP assets and ownership, use, and protection of IP assets in the employment context.
Intellectual Property Team
The Intellectual Property Team represents clients in matters related to patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and computer and software technology. Representative matters include:
- Litigating and trying to verdict a satellite television provider’s numerous lawsuits against unlawful signal interceptors;
- Initiating and responding to cease and desist demands, litigation, and related U.S. Trademark Office proceedings concerning trademarks, including specific experience in disputes concerning geographical use of trademarks and emerging issues in social media and internet use;
- Assisting owners of joint ventures and entrepreneurs in resolving disputes over creation, ownership, and other rights related to intellectual property;
- Defending businesses charged with copyright infringement of written, photographical, and musical works in the entertainment and leisure industry;
- Representing franchisors with respect to trademark issues in litigation and general counseling and advice;
- Defending clients in software and technology litigation concerning implementation and licensing of software, including enterprise resource planning (ERP) software;
- Resolving disputes concerning the use of internet domain names and other internet-based content;
- Representing an educational publisher in trademark infringement litigation;
- Assisting clients in searching and registration of trademarks in variety of industries, including athletics, education, food and beverage, physical fitness, and entertainment;
- Enforcing patent in technology covering novel process for finishing fiberglass in patent litigation in Greenville Division of U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina;
- Representing one of nation’s largest insurance brokerage agencies in litigation concerning alleged infringement of agency trademarks;
GWB’s IP Team also regularly represents individuals, small businesses, and corporations in state and federal court and in other tribunals on a wide range of IP issues. This representation includes a number of different types of businesses and industries including:
- Software and Website Developers
- Entrepreneurs, Inventors, and Joint Ventures
- Trademark Owners
- Franchisors and Franchisees
- Restaurants and others in the Food and Beverage Industry
- Designers and Architects
- National and Local Businesses
- Artists, Authors, and Musicians
- Employers and Employees
Related Articles & Presentations
- Hot Topics in Intellectual Property Law, Association of Corporate Counsel – South Carolina Chapter, 2012 Presentation (Vanderbloemen)
- Defending Intellectual Property Claims, CEU Institute, Panelist, 2013 (Vanderbloemen)
- “When Do Insurers Have a Duty to Defend Intellectual Property Claims Covered as ‘Advertising Injuries’ under Commercial General Liability Polices?”, The Business Suit, vol. 13, No. 8, (Tom Vanderbloemen co-authored with Laura Figueroa)
- Tom Vanderbloemen – Team Leader – Shareholder
- John Cuttino – Shareholder
- Jennifer Johnsen – Shareholder
- Jim Dedman – Partner
- Zach Weaver – Partner
Disney’s Gaming Group Wins Trademark Case
Disney’s Playdom division develops social-media games, but it hit a bit of a snag when attempting to register the trademark “PLAYDOM” because of a prior registration on file…