In Memoriam: W. Howard Boyd, Jr. (July 5, 1950 – June 20, 2021) was a fearless trial lawyer, remarkable for his committed efforts to guide individuals and businesses through their disputes. GWB has lost a larger-than-life friend, colleague and mentor. He will be missed by everyone at the firm and the Greenville community at large
A legal career spanning over 40 years, Howard Boyd Jr. successfully managed complex litigation for the firm’s clients. He handled a wide variety of civil litigation, including over 200 jury trials and numerous appeals. His practice was focused on business and commercial litigation, healthcare, products liability, professional negligence and class actions.
Within his business and commercial litigation practice, Howard represented corporate and individual clients in business disputes and complex litigation matters. Howard was accomplished in handling business torts, contracts, corporate finance, insurance, trade secrets and other disputes arising out of business transactions.
Howard also had a respected professional negligence practice. He represented individuals, businesses and corporations in regulatory and professional malpractice matters. Howard often defended lawyers, physicians, nurses, insurance professionals and real estate agents.
Howard had experience defending class actions in a variety of industries, including: healthcare, commercial transportation, business and commercial transactions, products liability and insurance.
Throughout his career, Howard successfully represented a wide variety of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, local large and small business owners and professionals and individuals.
Howard was well known for his collegial personality and accessibility. Always available to speak with a concerned client, Howard made a concerted effort to keep clients up to date and immediately addressed any client concerns.
University of South Carolina School of Law
J.D., Order of the Wig and Robe (1977)
- South Carolina Bar
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Associations & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Leadership Greenville, Class VIII
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (SCDTAA)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America (2003 – 2021)
- Bet the Company Litigation
- Lawyer of the Year (2019)
- Commercial Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Lawyer of the Year (2013)
- Bet the Company Litigation
- Greenville Business Magazine
- Legal Elite: Business Litigation (2020)
- Lawyer of the Year: Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2013)
- Legal Elite: Civil Litigation (2014 – 2016)
- Sertoman of the Year
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly, Leadership in Law (2011)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2008 – 2021)
- University of South Carolina Law Review, Articles Editor
- Downtown Sertoma Club, Past President
- Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce, General Counsel
- Greater Greenville Davidson Alumni Association, Past President
- Leadership Greenville Alumni Association, Chairman
- United Way of Greenville County
- Board of Directors, Chair (2011)
- Board of Directors, Vice Chair (2010)
- Campaign Chair (2009)
- Campaign Vice-Chair (2008)
- Palmetto Society Chair (2007)
- Upcountry History Museum
- Chairman of Board (2010 – 2012)
- Board Member (2007 – 2013)