Howard Boyd has 33 years of experience successfully managing complex litigation for the firm's clients, from advising on strategy before litigation ensues through trial, appeal, or alternative dispute resolution. Boyd, who leads GWB's Business and Commercial Law Group, has successfully handled a wide variety of civil litigation during his career, including over 200 jury trials and numerous appeals. As a result, clients think of Boyd as a go-to lawyer - someone you turn to when the stakes are high.
Boyd is also a go-to person in the community. He has a long list of leadership with the United Way of Greenville County, including his past service as Chairman of the 2010 United Way Board of Trustees, 2009 Campaign Chairman and chair of the Palmetto Society Campaign in 2007. He also serves as Chair of the Upcountry History Museum Board of Directors, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the Blue Ridge Council of Boy Scouts. He previously served as General Counsel of the Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce and Chair of the Leadership Greenville Alumni Board of Directors.
Howard is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Products Liability and Bet-The-Company Litigation, South Carolina Super Lawyers, Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite, and is an advocate in the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 1977 (Order of Wig and Robe)
- B.A., Davidson College, 1972
Honors and Awards
- 2012 Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Articles Editor, University of South Carolina Law Review
- 2011 Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Products Liability, Bet-The-Company Litigation
- 2011 Leadership In Law, SC Lawyer's Weekly
- South Carolina Super Lawyers: Business & Corporate Litigation
- Sertoman of Year
- Dickerson v. TLC Lasik Centers, 2011 WL 382443 (D.S.C.)
- Covan et al. v. Blue Cross Blue and Blue Shield of South Carolina et al.
- Avondale Mills v. Norfolk Southern Railway Company, C.A. No. 1:05-cv-2817-MBS (DSC 2005)
- Diamonds v. Greenville County, 480 S.E.2d 718 (S.C. 1997)
- Vines v. Self Memorial Hosp., 443 S.E.2d 909 (S.C. 1994)
- Cramer v. Balcor Prop. Mgmt., Inc., 441 S.E.2d 317 (S.C. 1994)
- Griffin v. Van Norman, 397 S.E.2d 378 (S.C. Ct. App. 1990)
- Republic Textile Equip. Co. of S. C., Inc. v. Aetna Ins. Co., 360 S.E.2d 540 (S.C. Ct. App. 1987)
- Bratcher v. Nat'l Grange Mut. Ins. Co., 356 S.E.2d 151 (S.C. Ct. App. 1987)
- Horne v. Beason, 331 S.E.2d 342 (S.C. 1985)
- Vaughn v. A.E. Green Co., Inc., 287 S.E.2d 493 (S.C. 1982)
- Kelly v. Edwards, 278 S.E. 2d 773 (S.C. 1981)
- Hall v. Nehi Royal Crown Bottling Company
- Sauls v. Anderson Co. School District
- Knights Inn v. Continental Ins.Co.
- Lowe v. Continental Scale Co.
- Gill v. ATO
- Ledford v. Premier Cycles
- Childers v. Cherokee County
- Thornton v. Blanchard Machinery Co.
- Nedrow v. Piedmont Natural Gas
- Atlas Vending Co. v. City of Greenville
- Roddey v. Wal-Mart and U.S. Security Associates
- Harley v. City of Greenville
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- South Carolina Bar
- Greenville County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Leadership Greenville Class VIII
- Board of Directors, United Way of Greenville County, Palmetto Society Chair 2007, Campaign Vice-Chair 2008, Campaign Chair 2009, Vice-Chair of Board of Directors 2010, Chair of Board of Directors 2011
- General Counsel, Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce, 1984
- Chairman, Leadership Greenville Alumni Association, 1998
- Past President, Greater Greenville Davidson Alumni Association
- Past President, Downtown Sertoma Club
- Upcountry History Museum, Board Member 2007-Present, Chairman of Board 2010-2012
- South Carolina, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994