Scope of Legal Experience
Practicing out of GWBís Greenville
office, Ron Tate has handled a wide variety of cases involving many different
legal issues throughout his over 28 years of practicing law. His cases have
ranged from construction matters, design liability, commercial litigation,
environmental law, intellectual property, and insurance coverage.
Ron believes that an ability to
fight for clients in a jury trial, when necessary, is essential to obtaining
the best results possible for his clients.
He has tried a number of cases to juries and arbitrators and also has
significant appellate experience before the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
A significant portion of Ronís
practice centers on design and construction matters. Ron has been involved in the construction
industry his entire life beginning with a family owned construction business
that is still in operation today. This
lifelong experience provides Ron with the knowledge to understand the
challenges faced by construction professionals.
He regularly represents the following professionals in the construction
- General Contractors
- Trade Contractors
- Design Professionals
Additionally, Ron has an array of
experience litigating claims of alleged construction defects. These matters include:
- Defective Design and Construction of
- Large Multifamily Building Defect
- Grading and Geotechnical Claims
- Steel Building Collapses
- Water intrusion cases involving
residential claddings, brick, and stucco.
- Claims for defective subdivision
infrastructure causing soil erosion and water damage to adjoining landowners.
Ron also counsels clients on
construction collection and payment claims that often include lien and bond
claims, claims for additional compensation due to acceleration and delays, and
claims relating to contract termination.
Another area of Ronís law practice
is complex business and commercial matters.
He has counseled clients on contract and transactional issues as well as
drafted and negotiated contracts on projects as diverse as large co-generation power
plants to homebuilding agreements. Ron
is also conversant with industry standard contract forms and can tailor them to
the needs of the client.
Issues that arise in law can be very
complex and difficult for individuals (and many attorneys) to comprehend. Ron believes in working with his clients to
help them understand the issues and work with them to set goals. He will guide his clients to a strategy that
positions them for the best possible result.
- South Carolina, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1986
- J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 1985 (Order of Wig and Robe, Order of the Coif)
- B.S., cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1982
Article, Publications & Presentations
- Ferguson Fire & Fabrication, Inc. v. Preferred Fire Prot., LLC, 397 S.C. 379, 725 S.E.2d 495 (Ct. App. 2012), reh'g denied (May 2, 2012).
- Ross Dress for Less, Inc. v. Lauth Const. Grp.,
LLC, CA 0:10-703-CMC, 2012 WL 2572042 (D.S.C. July
- Dickerson v. TLC Lasik Centers, 2011 WL 382443 (D.S.C.)
- Hollmon v. TLC Vision, et al., 683 S.E.2d 495 (S.C. 2009)
- Moser v. Gosnell, 513 S.E.2d 123 (S.C. Ct. App. 1999)
- Mangum v. Maryland Casualty Company, 500 S.E.2d 125 (S.C. Ct. App. 1998)
- BP Oil Company v. Federated Mutual Insurance Company, Inc., 496 S.E.2d 35 (S.C. Ct. App. 1998)
- Graniteville Company, Inc. v. IH Services, Inc., 447 S.E.2d 226 (S.C. Ct. App. 1994)
- Flavor-Inn, Inc. v. NCNB National Bank of South Carolina, 424 S.E.2d 534 (S.C. Ct. App. 1992)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Home Builders' Association of Greenville, General Counsel
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Alliance for Quality Education/Public Education Partners, Former Board Member
- Leadership South Carolina, 2008
- Leadership Greenville, Class XX
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America - Commercial Litigation, 2013
- Greenville Business Magazine Legal Elite - Construction, 2012
- Articles Editor, South Carolina Law Review
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Former Board Member, Opportunity Greenville, Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Friends of the Greenville Zoo Board of Directors
- Past President, Eastside Sertoma Club