Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- Ranked in Best Law Firms, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, Greenville, South Carolina
- Team member Stuart Mauney is ranked in Best Lawyers for Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants.
- Attorneys are involved in state and national organizations promoting the healthcare industry, including American Health Lawyers Association, the South Carolina Healthcare Association, South Carolina Association of Residential Care Homes, and Physicians Insurers Association of America.
Team members regularly defend both professionals and facilities in litigated and regulatory matters. In addition to malpractice litigation, the team provides risk management counseling to their clients. Providers represented by the team include:
- Physicians and Surgeons
- Psychiatrists and other mental health professionals
- Ophthalmologists and Optometrists
- Mental Health Facilities
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Urgent Care Centers
Long-Term Care Litigation
A substantial portion of the team’s practice for nearly twenty years consists of the defense of long-term care providers in both state and federal courts. The team has extensive experience in and regularly represents continuing care retirement communities, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and hospice in pre-litigation, litigation and regulatory matters. Clients include national and locally-owned providers and management companies who are insured both through traditional insurance and alternative risk programs. The litigated matters the team has defended include wrongful death and other cases with issues regarding:
- Wound care/Skin Integrity;
- Nutrition/Dietary Management/Malnutrition/Dehydration;
- Resident safety including physical and sexual abuse and resident-on-resident abuse;
- Nursing Care/Management/Staffing;
- End-of-Life Issues;
- Medication Administration
The team also represents long-term care providers in regulatory matters and assists them in conducting internal investigations and developing policies and procedures.
Dental and Oral Surgeon Defense
Another portion of the team’s practice consists of defending dentists and oral surgeons in malpractice litigation as well as regulatory investigations and licensing matters brought by state agencies. These matters often include but are not limited to claims alleging:
- Anesthesia/Sedation Mismanagement
- Nerve Damage
- Improper Implant Placement
- Wrongful Extraction
- Lack of Informed Consent
- TMJ Dysfunction
- Negligent Root Canal Treatment
- Failure to Diagnose
S.C. Supreme Court Rejects Assignment of Legal Malpractice Claims
In a unanimous decision issued July 15, 2015, the South Carolina Supreme Court joined the majority of jurisdictions across the country in holding that purported assignments of legal malpractice claims are void as against public policy.
Preventative Maintenance: Avoiding a Lawsuit
Rocky Rogers presented Preventative Maintenance: Avoiding a Lawsuit to the South Carolina Association of Residential Care Homes at their spring conference.