Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- Ranked in Best Law Firms, Employee Benefits – ERISA Law, Greenville, South Carolina.
- Team member Jennifer Johnsen is ranked in Best Lawyers for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law.
Healthcare & Benefits Team
Healthcare and employee benefits are governed by complex state and federal laws that are often difficult to navigate and understand. The Healthcare and Benefits team helps clients understand the impact and enforcement of these laws as well as how organizations and individuals may be at risk. The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, or ERISA, governs employer sponsored and/or maintained group benefit plans. The Healthcare and Benefits Team assists with all manner of actions involving claims for benefits under ERISA. The team represents various benefit plans, both self-funded and fully insured, and insurers providing group and individual life, disability, health and accidental death coverage. The Healthcare and Benefits Team includes experienced litigation attorneys who have handled numerous cases involving:
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefits
- Actions Relating to Fiduciary Responsibilities
- Bad Faith Actions
- Class Actions
- Contract Actions
- Employee Benefits Plans
- Health Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Benefits
- Regulatory Matters
- Reimbursement Disputes
- Short-Term Disability Benefits
Related Articles & Presentations
- The Federal Lawyer. ERISA Litigation: Back to Basics – By: Jennifer E. Johnsen, Nicole J. Buntin & Mary A. Giorgi – Used with permission
The Federal Lawyer: ERISA Litigation: Back to Basics By: Jennifer E. Johnsen,
It has been more than 30 years since the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) was enacted by Congress. During this period of time, courts have interpreted and clarified (in some instances) the scope and application of the act and the remedies it affords.