Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- Represent state, county, municipal and local governmental entities.
- Offer onsite governmental law education and training programs for clients.
Government Liability Team
The Governmental Liability Team provides civil litigation defense to a variety of state, county, municipal and local governmental entities and officials in cases brought under the South Carolina Tort Claims Act, the Federal Tort Claims Act, and the Civil Rights Act (42 U.S.C. Section 1983). The team’s lawyers regularly appear in both the state and federal courts in South Carolina for cases brought under these constitutional and statutory provisions. The Team’s attorneys assist clients in a variety of matters, which often include:
- Zoning and Land Use Disputes
- Constitutional Law
- First Amendment and Defamation Claims
- School Based Claims
- Governmental Liability Defense Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Law Enforcement Defense Litigation
The Government Liability Team is often asked to speak at conferences and routinely provides education, training, and CEUs in the form of in-house presentations and seminars for clients. These CEUs often deal with recent and developing trends in governmental law and legislation, but can also be tailored to address the specific needs and concerns of the client in question.