Team Skills & Experience:
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 Ranking, Commercial Litigation, Greenville and Columbia, South Carolina, offices.
- Several of the partners on the Design & Construction Team have significant construction field experience in both commercial and residential settings.
- Team members regularly advise clients on project delivery and contract formation.
- Team members regularly assist clients with contract claims such as additional compensation, acceleration and delay claims, bond claims, and mechanic’s liens.
- The team has a record of achieving favorable resolution of construction defect claims involving multi-family buildings with high exposure damages.
- The team has extensive experience in assisting clients with resolution of disputes, including negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Design & Construction Team
Located in each of GWB’s offices, the nine lawyers who practice in the firm’s Design and Construction practice bring a wide array of experience to assist construction clients. Members of the GWB construction team are rooted in building trades. Several of the partners on the Design & Construction Team have significant construction field experience in both commercial and residential settings. Their backgrounds include structural steel and metals detailing, fabrication and erection, sheet metal fabrication, and operation of HVAC systems. The team also has significant experience in the installation of roofing systems, waterproofing, interior finish systems, acoustical ceilings, light gauge metal framing systems as well as the installation of a wide array of exterior claddings on commercial structures. Their experience includes both direct application in the field as well as project management and estimating in privately bid projects and design build settings. An example of the high regard for the Team’s experience is the GWB Legal Hotline for the Home Builders Association of Greenville. The Legal Hotline is a benefit of membership in the HBA of Greenville and is designed to offer direct access to a qualified attorney who can provide information on construction law and related matters. The team has cultivated valuable contacts among experts in a number of disciplines relevant to construction contract claims and construction defect defense. Team attorneys have demonstrated the ability to achieve successful resolutions for clients that are consistent with the client’s goals.
This real world experience has provided team members a unique perspective in understanding the challenges faced by construction professionals. To that end, the Design and Construction Team has been able to represent a wide variety of clients who are involved in all phases of the construction process. This broad array of clients included:
- Owners of Commercial and Industrial Properties
- General and Trade Contractors
- Design Professionals
Additionally, the team has represented local, national, and international architectural and engineering firms, contractors, subcontractors, builders, bonding companies, and suppliers in construction matters. The team has extensive experience in preparing and negotiating contracts and providing counseling to construction participants to assist them in evaluating and controlling financial risks before construction commences.
The team has provided contract advice to construction participants in a wide range of transactions including:
- Design-Build Contracts
- Owner-Architect Agreements
- General Construction Contracts
- Building Material Sales Contracts
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Master Services Agreements
- Government Contracts
Once construction commences, the team’s attorneys have an array of experience litigating claims of various types including contract claims and claims of alleged construction defects. These matters are often related to:
- Delay/Disruption Damages and Change Orders
- Differing site conditions
- Wrongful contract termination
- Defective Design and Construction of Residences
- Large Multifamily Building Defect Class Actions
- Grading and Geotechnical Claims
- Building Collapses
- Water intrusion cases involving commercial and residential claddings, brick, and stucco
- Claims for defective subdivision infrastructure causing soil erosion and water damage to adjoining landowners
The team’s attorneys also assist clients in protecting their financial interests through mechanic’s liens and bond claims. They have represented financial institutions in construction-related lender liability matters.
Ron Tate Receives Presidential Citation Award From Home Builders Association of Greenville
GWB shareholder Ronald G. Tate has received the Presidential Citation Award from the Home Builders Association of Greenville (HBA). According the HBA, “The recipient of the Presidential Citation Award demonstrates an extraordinary level of dedication to the HBA and the overall building and development communities.”
Design and Performance Specifications Raise Hidden Risk Allocation Problems For Construction Contractors
Contractors face a number of pitfalls in assessing the risks of liability for design defects.
South Carolina Prompt Payment Laws: Assuring Payment to Construction Trade Contractors
Too often construction subcontractors feel like they are at the mercy of general contractors when it comes to payment for their work.