Team Skills & Experience Brief:
- The team is comprised of attorneys possessing years of experience in the handling of commercial transportation matters, from transportation Contract disputes, to Carmack Amendment and Carriage of Goods by Sea Act claims to catastrophic personal injury matters. GWB’s attorneys combine knowledge of the industry with legal knowledge to guide our commercial transportation clients through every kind of dispute.
- With offices that cover the Carolinas’ shipping lanes and routes, including Charlotte, NC, Charleston, SC, Greenville, SC and Columbia, SC, the team represents motor carriers, brokers and freight forwarders and/or their insurers in South and North Carolina.
- The team is available 24/7 and provides clients an Emergency Response Contact Sheet listing home, cell and direct dial telephone numbers.
- Team members belong to the Conference of Freight Counsel (“CFC”), Transportation Lawyers Association (“TLA”), Commercial Transportation Committee of the Defense Research Institute, the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”), the International Association of Defense Counsel (“IADC”) and Trucking Industry Defense Association (“TIDA”).
Commercial Transportation Team
GWB utilizes a team approach to provide the highest level of quality service to its clients, at the most reasonable expense. Currently led by Chris Kelly, GWB’s Commercial Transportation Team has more than 170 years of combined experience in the handling of commercial transportation matters. Through this experience, the Team has developed a reservoir of knowledge in this particular field and is very familiar with the issues unique to the commercial transportation field. The team has regular team meetings and events which focus on developing increased specialized knowledge in the handling of commercial transportation cases. The firm’s technology allows for the efficient handling of any matter as it allows for the maintenance of a large volume of data obtained in the discovery and transaction process. The firm also maintains a bank of legal memoranda, briefs, seminar materials, articles, expert CVs and expert depositions in the trucking litigation field which the team utilizes freely to allow the team to handle trucking matters at the most reasonable expense.
GWB not only brings an experienced team that has represented major commercial transportation entities in South and North Carolina, for years, but the experience and knowledge of former bar and defense association presidents and officers. GWB has an outstanding reputation amongst the judiciary.
In the last five years the team has handled and resolved more than 110 commercial transportation matters. Significant commercial transportation issues, in the commercial, cargo, casualty and coverage areas, addressed by the firm during the past five years include the following:
Members of the Commercial Transportation Team are called upon at all hours of the night and day to assist the firm’s clients in the event of an emergency, whether commercial emergency, large cargo loss or catastrophic personal injury accident. The team provides its clients with an emergency response contact sheet which contains the work, home, and cellular telephone numbers of each team member in order to better serve GWB’s transportation clients. In 2005, members of GWB’s Commercial Transportation teams served as lead counsel in the emergency response, post-accident investigation, and claims handling of the Graniteville train derailment. Team members were on-site within hours of the derailment that resulted in a chlorine cloud being released into the environment. GWB attorneys regularly respond to the scene of large commercial motor vehicle accidents to coordinate the investigation, advise the client and direct all aspects of the emergency response. GWB brings a vast amount of experience in accident scene response, evidence preservation, and investigative skill to the issues that arise out of a catastrophic accident.
Representative motor carriers and commercial transportation clients (private and for hire fleets) that have been represented by GWB’s Commercial Transportation Team in the past include, but are not limited to:
Related Articles & Presentations
- Truck Wars: The Rise of the Dark Side, by Chris Kelly – The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 25-29, April 2010
- “Emergency Response to Catastrophic Accidents” by C. Stuart Mauney, The Greenville Journal
Members of the team are actively involved in the following organizations:
- Transportation Lawyers Association (“TLA”)
- Conference of Freight Counsel (“CFC”)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (“IADC”)
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (“TIDA”)
- Commercial Transportation Committee of the Defense Research Institute
Defending Excessive Discovery in Trucking Accident Litigation: The Best Defense is a Good Offense
Curtis L. Ott and James E. Brogdon, III discuss several strategies to utilize when defending against excessive and burdensome discovery requests from plaintiffs in truck accident litigation.
Emergency Response to Catastrophic Trucking Accidents
The old proverb “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” is certainly true when it comes to the legal defense of a catastrophic trucking accident. The initial emergency response to the accident is crucial to ensuring that a case has a solid foundation for a proper defense.
Judicial Notice and Google: Ancient Doctrine and Internet Search Engine
The law, like religious doctrine, often play catch up with factual circumstances and technological advancement that are dizzying in pace and overwhelming
Truck Wars: The Rise of the Dark Side
In a galaxy not so far away, at a time that is very much the present, an organization has arisen from the bowels of the American Trial Lawyers Association. Where once there was only the TLA, a collegial alliance of attorneys who “assist providers and users of logistics and transportation services,” there has arisen an imperial force known as … .The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (”APITLA”).