Team Skills & Experience:
- The team has briefed and argued matters before the federal and state appellate courts
- The team advises trial attorneys during initial trials and prior to appellate actions
- Team attorneys have been recognized by Best Lawyers in the America
- The team has represented clients in matters related to product liability, insurance coverage, and general litigation
GWB’s Appellate Team attorneys have extensive experience briefing and arguing before the federal and state appellate courts. Team members have obtained opinions affecting areas such as product liability and insurance coverage law, as well as general litigation issues such as the proper venue for all civil cases filed in South Carolina. The Appellate Team has submitted numerous amicus or “friend of the court” briefs for organizations including the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, the Defense Research Institute, and the South Carolina Manufacturers’ Alliance.
GWB appellate lawyers also proactively assist trial attorneys long before a case reaches the steps of the appellate courts. A sample of the team’s recent work includes:
- In 2014, successfully represented product manufacturer before the South Carolina Court of Appeal which affirmed the order granting summary judgment.
- Served as appellate and motions counsel for product manufacturer in toxic tort (asbestos) trial during October 2014 in which jury returned a defense verdict.
GWB attorneys have appellate clerkship experience and multiple oral arguments under their belts. Their experience also includes the writing of articles and the presentation of issues relevant to today’s legal environment. A sample of the team’s work over the years is below:
- “Testing the Test: One Test Does Not Fit All,” International Association of Defense Counsel, Appellate Group, July 2013
- Ethics in Appellate Practice, Appellate Advocacy Seminar presented by South Carolina Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Spring 2012
- Error Preservation in the State and Federal Systems, 2010 South Carolina Bar Convention
Summary Judgment Affirmed By Appellate Court In Products Liability Case
GWB attorneys Curtis Ott and Laura Jordan have a summary judgment in a client’s products liability case affirmed by the South Carolina Court of Appeals.