Shareholder Jennifer Johnsen was born in Illinois and raised in Massachusetts. Her extensive community involvement and service as President of the Greenville Bar Association in 2003 suggest she has found a home in Upstate South Carolina. In 2001, Johnsen was chosen as one of Greenville Magazine's Best & Brightest 35 and Under. She is also a graduate of Leadership Greenville, Class 29 and the Diversity Leadership Institute.
Jennifer currently serves on the the Campaign Cabinet for the Greenville County United Way and is on the Advisory Board for the United Way's Young Philanthropist Council, which she chaired in 2005. She also serves on the board of the Museum Association of the Greenville County Art Museum and the Greenville Advisory Board of the Urban League.
Johnsen's litigation practice focuses on business and commercial litigation, ERISA benefits, intellectual property and insurance coverage litigation. She is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel where she serves as Vice Chair of the Life, Health and Disability Section. She is also a member of DRI's Commercial Litigation Committee.
- Massachusetts, 1990
- South Carolina, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1994
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 1990
- A.B., Mount Holyoke College, 1987
- United Way of Greenville County: Past Chair, Young Philanthropist Council;
- United Way of Greenville County: Campaign Cabinet Member; Palmetto Society Board Member
- Board of Directors of the Museum Association of the Greenville County Museum of Art
- Urban League of the Upstate, Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Board of the YMCA
- Carden v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., Slip Copy, 2007 WL 3274279 (D.S.C Nov. 2,
- Elgin v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., Slip Copy, 2007 WL 1034988 (D.S.C. March. 30,
- Waddle v. Maksin Management Corp., Slip Copy, 2007 WL 634420 (D.S.C. Feb.
- Drake v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 2007 WL 108722 (D.S.C. Jan. 12, 2007)
- B.L.G. Enter., Inc. v. First Fin. Ins. Co., 514 S.E.2d 327 (S.C. 1999)
- Peterson v. West American Ins. Co., 518 S.E.2d 608 (S.C. Ct. App. 1999)
- Continental Ins. Co. v. Shives, 492 S.E.2d 808 (S.C. Ct. App. 1997)
Articles, Publications & Presentations
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Past President, Greenville County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Leadership Greenville, Class 29
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, Vice Chair of Life, Health & Disability Section
Honors and Awards
- 2012 Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Greenville Magazine's Best & Brightest, 35 and Under