Scope of Legal Experience
Chris Kelly is
the Partner-In-Charge of the firm's Charlotte office and focuses his practice
on commercial transportation law and a broad range of complex litigation,
including business and commercial litigation and personal injury litigation, as
well as professional negligence. Chris is also GWBís Litigation Group
Leader, its Trucking Litigation Team Leader and E-Discovery Team Leader. Chrisí experience ranges from the handling of catastrophic personal injury cases
to commercial disputes to Carmack Amendment claims. Chris is licensed in
both North Carolina and South Carolina.
Group Leader, Chris assists in managing the GWB Litigation Group practice teams
the firmís attorneys in effectively and economically representing their clients
throughout the Carolinas. As trucking team leader, and a transportation
lawyer, Chris is involved in handling, and managing lawyers who regularly
handle, and trying to verdict matters which include:
Charge Disputes and Collections
coordinates motor carrier and railroad accident investigations and emergency
response to accident scenes and has tried transportation cases to verdict in
both state and federal court. Along with his partner Ron Wray, Chris is
designated national counsel for the locomotive video evidence preservation
programs for two national Class I railroads.
In addition to
his transportation practice, Chris is involved in representing clients engaged
in business and commercial disputes, professional negligence
- Contrasting Developments in the Law Related to Electronic Discovery: The Burden of Demonstrating Prejudice Due to Spoliation - by Chris Kelly, The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 46-48, July 2011
- Truck Wars: The Rise of the Dark Side, by Chris Kelly - The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 25-29, April 2010
- Attacking Affidavits: Maintaining the Integrity of the Process by Chris Kelly and Laura Simons - South Carolina Lawyer, January 2010
- Twombly to Iqbal: The Rule 8 Revival of the Rule 12(b)(6) Motion by Chris Kelly and Hilary Moore - For The Defense, November 2009
- Keeping it Lonely at the Top - A Brief Guide to Resisting Apex Depositons, For The Defense, January 2009
- Establishing an Ever-Widening Toehold To Overcome Placard/Statutory Employee Liability, DRI In Transit E-Newsletter, Vol. 1, Issue 11, February 2008.
- Nullifying Plaintiffs Settlement Leverage Due to Driver Log Falsification and Hours of Service Violations, The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 38-42, February 2007.
Honors and Awards
- E. McGruder Faris Memorial Award for Character, Leadership and Scholarship
- Editorial Staff, Wake Forest Law Review
- Greenville First Bank's Best & Brightest Under 35
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Graduate of Leadership Charlotte, Class 34
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Transportation Lawyers' Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Notre Dame Club of
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
Program Chair, 46th
Annual Transportation Law Institute, November 8, 2013, Los Angeles, CA
Electronic Evidence, Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA) Annual Meeting,
- The Exception to the Exception: Removal of a Case with a Resident Co-Defendant, Transportation Lawyers Association's (TLA) Annual Meeting, May, 2011.
- Using Locomotive Camera Footage in Litigation, American Association of Railroads, 32nd Annual General Claims Conference, October, 2010.
- In-House Counsel's Electronic Discovery Survival Guide, South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association's (SCDTAA) Corporate Counsel Seminar, September, 2010.
- Ethical Considerations of Electronic Discovery, Transportation Lawyers Association's (TLA) Annual Meeting, May, 2008.
- South Carolina, 1997
- North Carolina, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2007
- United States District Court
- District of South Carolina, 1998
- Western District of North Carolina, 2000
- Middle District of North Carolina, 2000
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 2000
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 1997
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1994