Practicing out of GWB’s Greenville office, Ron Tate has handled a wide variety of cases involving many different legal issues throughout his over 30 years of practicing law. His cases have ranged from construction matters, design liability, commercial litigation, environmental law, intellectual property, and insurance coverage.
Ron believes that an ability to fight for clients in a jury trial, when necessary, is essential to obtaining the best results possible for his clients. He has tried a number of cases to juries and arbitrators and also has significant appellate experience before the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
A significant portion of Ron’s practice centers on design and construction matters. Ron has been involved in the construction industry his entire life beginning with a family owned construction business. This lifelong experience provides Ron with the knowledge to understand the challenges faced by construction professionals. He regularly represents the following professionals in the construction industry:
- General Contractors
- Trade Contractors
- Design Professionals
Additionally, Ron has an array of experience litigating claims of alleged construction defects. These matters include:
- Defective Design and Construction of Residences
- Large Multifamily Building Defect Class Actions
- Grading and Geotechnical Claims
- Steel Building Collapses
- Water intrusion cases involving residential claddings, brick, and stucco.
- Claims for defective subdivision infrastructure causing soil erosion and water damage to adjoining landowners.
Ron also counsels clients on construction collection and payment claims that often include lien and bond claims, claims for additional compensation due to acceleration and delays, and claims relating to contract termination.
Another area of Ron’s law practice is complex business and commercial matters. He has counseled clients on contract and transactional issues as well as drafted and negotiated contracts on projects as diverse as large co-generation power plants to homebuilding agreements. Ron is also conversant with industry standard contract forms and can tailor them to the needs of the client.
Issues that arise in law can be very complex and difficult for individuals (and many attorneys) to comprehend. Ron believes in working with his clients to help them understand the issues and work with them to set goals. He will guide his clients to a strategy that positions them for the best possible result.
Articles, Presentations & Publications
Associations & Memberships
- Alliance for Quality Education/Public Education Partners, Former Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Home Builders’ Association of Greenville, General Counsel
- Leadership Greenville, Class XX
- Leadership South Carolina, 2008
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
Honors and Awards
- Peer Review Rated “AV” – Preeminent for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation, 2013 to Present
- 2014 Thomas N. Bagnal Associate of the Year Award, Home Builders Association of South Carolina
- Richard A. Ashmore, Sr. Associate Member of the Year Award from the Home Builders Association of Greenville – 2014
- 2015 Legal Elite – Construction Law, Greenville Business Magazine
- 2014 Legal Elite – Insurance Law, Greenville Business Magazine
- 2012 Legal Elite – Construction Law, Greenville Business Magazine
- Articles Editor, South Carolina Law Review
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Former Board Member, Opportunity Greenville, Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Friends of the Greenville Zoo Board of Directors
- Past President, Eastside Sertoma Club
- South Carolina, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1986
- J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 1985 (Order of Wig and Robe, Order of the Coif)
- B.S., cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1982
Testimonial - Person
What use is an unloaded gun?