Michelle Yarbrough is an experienced litigation attorney and shareholder in the firm’s Greenville office. Her practice is geared toward the defense of workers’ compensation matters on the behalf of employers, insurance carriers, and self-insured corporations. She also defends clients in the transportation, torts, and personal injury practice areas. “I really find fulfillment in identifying the plaintiffs who are misrepresenting facts and overstating injuries involved in their claims,” she explains. “In short, I love finding the truth about my client’s case while helping the employers. Making my clients happy makes me feel good about my job.”
Born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina, Michelle graduated summa cum laude from the University of Alabama in 1995. Michelle then attended the University of South Carolina School of Law, graduating in 1998 with recognition for outstanding academic achievement through membership in the Order of the Wig and Robe. Michelle began working at Gallivan, White & Boyd in the summer of 1997 as a summer Associate and returned as an Associate in 1998 after graduation to begin her legal career. For over two decades practicing law, Michelle has represented a variety of clients in different industries and resolved countless numbers of cases on their behalf. Some of these industries include commercial transportation, retail, logistics, and utilities.
Michelle is widely known by colleagues and clients alike for her attention to detail. She investigates all aspects of a claim before suggesting a course of action. She is responsive to client inquiries and works hard to understand the client’s expectations. Michelle then formulates a plan to exceed those expectations. She looks forward to new opportunities to serve her clients’ needs.
Additionally, Michelle is involved in her community, serving on the United Way Women’s Leadership Council’s Advisory Board. “I am blessed to be able to give back to the community which has been so good to me and my family.” Michelle loves helping those less fortunate than herself while balancing family life with her career.
When she’s not helping her clients, Michelle loves being a mom to her two sons – Jamie, who is twelve, and Matthew, who just celebrated his ninth birthday. She enjoys watching them grow into young men and learn new things about their world. She also finds joy in watching her beloved Alabama football with her family.
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- 2013 Annual Educational Conference on Workers’ Compensation, Committee Member
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Pi Beta Phi, Greenville Alumnae Club
- Former, Treasurer
- Former, Alumnae Club Rush Information Chair
- Leadership Greenville, Class 36
Honors and Awards
- Legal Elite by Greenville Business Magazine – Workers’ Compensation: Defense, 2014
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Moot Court Bar
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, South Carolina Law Review
- Campaign Cabinet 2010-2014, United Way of Greenville County
- Palmetto Society Board 2010-2012, United Way of Greenville County
- Area V Chair 2012-2014, United Way of Greenville County
- Women’s Leadership Council 2006 – Present, United Way of Greenville County
- Women’s Leadership Council, United Way of Greenville County, 2011 Chair
- Women’s Leadership Council, United Way of Greenville County, 2010 Vice Chair
- Former Member of the Women Attorney’s Committee, United Way Greenville County
- United States District Court of South Carolina 2004
- South Carolina, 1998
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1998 (Order of Wig and Robe)
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Alabama, 1995
Testimonial - Person
The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential…these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.