Jim Dedman is a partner in GWB′s Charlotte office. Jim joined GWB in 2006 after moving from Beaumont, Texas, where he had practiced for a number of years. Jim is an experienced litigator with extensive experience in handling complex personal injury and business litigation. Jim focuses his practice on transportation law, torts and insurance practice, drug and medical device litigation, toxic tort litigation, products liability and banking litigation. He also represents clients in a number of industries within these practice areas including:
- Commercial Real Estate
Jim′s experience ranges from having defended a major pharmaceutical company in state and federal courts concerning its manufacture of diet drugs to defense of a Class I railroad in personal injury matters to representation of lenders in foreclosure and debt collection matters. Jim is experienced in complex and comprehensive discovery having deposed hundreds of fact witnesses, physicians, medical specialists and experts.
Jim regularly speaks on topics such as use of social media in litigation and is on the firm′s Technology Committee. Jim brings a diverse legal background to the table being licensed in, and having practiced in, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina and the Pennsylvania MDL 875 (Asbestos).
Jim is also the founder and editor of Abnormal Use a popular products liability blog named by the American Bar Association as one of the top 100 legal blogs for the past two years running. In 2012 and 2014, Jim was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers.
Articles, Presentations & Publications
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Products Liability Committee – Vice Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Membership Committee
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Member
- Continuing Legal Education Committee (2012 – Present)
- Chair of the Civil Litigation Section 2017
- Law Practice Management and Technology Council
- Technology Committee Chair
Honors and Awards
- Former Briefing Attorney, The Hon. Eva M. Guzman, Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2012, 2014 to Present
- North Carolina Super Lawyers 2015 to Present
- Edwards v. Hackney, No. 12-1146, 741 S.E.2d 925 (Table), available at 2013 WL 1899176 (N.C. Ct. App. May 7, 2013)
- City of Cayce v. Norfolk Southern Ry. Co., 391 S.C. 395, 706 S.E.2d 6 (2011)
- Aetna Health of the Carolina, et al, v. Piedmont Endocrinology Medical Associates, P.A., 713 S.E. 2d 792 (Table) (N.C. Ct. App. 2011).
- In re Baptist Hosps. of Southeast Tex., 172 S.W.3d 136 (Tex. App. – Beaumont 2005, orig. proceeding)
- Texas, 2002
- South Carolina, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern,Western and Eastern Districts of Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 2007
- North Carolina, 2007
- U.S District Courts for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina, 2009
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Middle Districts of North Carolina, 2009
- MDL 875, In Re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation (No. VI), U.S. District for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- MDL 2391, In Re: Biomet M2A Magnum Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- J.D., Baylor University School of Law, 2002
- B.S., Radio/Television/Film, The University of Texas at Austin, 1998
Testimonial - Person
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.