J. Clayton Mitchell is a litigation attorney in the firm’s Columbia, South Carolina office. He regularly represents and defends clients in the tort and personal injury practice areas.
In addition, Clay often represents insurers including auto carriers, specialty carriers, and general liability carriers in complex litigation involving personal injury and tort liability claims. Types of cases regularly handled by Clay include:
• Automobile and commercial Vehicle Accidents
• Premises Liability
• Intentional Torts
• Business Torts
Clay believes that client service and legal skill go hand-in-hand. He pairs exemplary service through frequent and reliable communication with competent legal advice to exceed the client’s expectations.
Clay received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Carolina Darla Moore School of Business with a focus in Finance and Real Estate. Clayton received his J.D. from the Charleston School of Law, where he was a CALI Award recipient in Contracts II.
Clay brings additional experience from his most recent work as Assistant Attorney General/Staff Attorney with the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office. While serving with the Attorney General, Clayton served as the lead securities fraud and white collar crimes prosecutor. In addition, he represented the State before the South Carolina appellate courts where he briefed and argued numerous cases before the South Carolina Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
- J.D., Charleston School of Law, 2013
- B.S. – Finance and Real Estate, University of South Carolina, 2010
- South Carolina, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
Associations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Judicial Qualifications Committee, Member
- Young Lawyers Division, Member
- Unauthorized Practice of law Committee, Member
- University of South Carolina School of Law – Center of Professionalism, 3L Mentor
- Eastminster Presbyterian Church, Member
- South Carolina Bar – Young Lawyer’s Division, iCivics Program