Duffie Powers centers his legal practice on the areas of Design and Construction and Creditors’ Rights in the firm’s South Carolina offices. Having previously worked in the construction industry, Duffie has a unique insight into the challenges faced by those in the industry. Duffie routinely represents contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, equipment rental companies, architects, engineers and other design professionals. He has represented clients in commercial and residential construction projects of all sizes related to the litigation of construction and design defects, zoning and land use planning issues, contracts and payment disputes. A sample of those matters include:
- Assisted a Fortune 500 corporate client as lead counsel in the collection of a multi-million dollar construction account from a regional commercial contractor
- Achieved a favorable resolution of several construction defect claims involving multi-family buildings with alleged damages in excess of $50 million
- Assisted in the resolution of a dispute related to a commercial reciprocal easement agreement with alleged damages exceeding $5 million
Duffie has also handled several cases involving delay claims in excess of $1 million on private and government projects.
Duffie also spends a significant amount of time drafting construction agreements for developers, owners, general contractors, and subcontractors. Most of these contracts approach the $2 to $10 million range. Duffie’s robust construction collections practice includes filing and prosecuting actions related to mechanic’s liens, bond claims, and construction collections litigation for contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, and design professionals. Finally, Duffie provides a general business advisory service to contractors, subcontractors and developers in all aspects of construction including, but not limited to, financing, safety, contract negotiation, risk management, and project oversight.
In addition to his construction practice, Duffie maintains a significant practice in the Creditors’ Rights field. In this area, he represents regional and national banks, governmental entities, non-traditional lending institutions and other commercial lenders in a wide variety of matters including workouts, bankruptcy, commercial foreclosures, UCC claims, liquidations, contract and collections work. Duffie also provides general legal advice and guidance to credit officers, special assets officer and banking executives.
Past results and testimonials from clients are not to be taken as a representation that the same or similar results can be obtained by the firm in the future.
Associations & Memberships
- Defense Research Institute
- Greenville Country Bar Association
- Greenville County Young Lawyers
- National Center for State Courts, Young Lawyers Committee
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association, Co-Chair Construction Law Section
Honors and Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hotlist, 2016
- Legal Elite – Bankruptcy Law, Greenville Business Magazine, 2015 – 2016
- Super Lawyers – Rising Stars – Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights
- Best & Brightest Under 35, Greenville Business Magazine
- Greenville Downtown Sertoma Club
- Greenville County Board of Zoning Appeals
- Greenville County Museum of Art Young Collector’s Board
- South Carolina, 2005
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 2005
- B.A., cum laude, Clemson University, Calhoun Honors College, 1999
Testimonial - Person
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.