T. David Rheney is a partner in GWB’s Greenville, South Carolina office. A native of Orangeburg, South Carolina, David brings a wealth of trial experience to his primary practice areas of personal injury defense, trucking and transportation defense, insurance and reinsurance coverage, bad faith litigation, and products liability litigation. He has tried well over 100 cases to a verdict in his career in local, state, and federal court.
As a member of the firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance Practice Group, David has extensive experience handling a variety of insurance related matters, including:
- Personal Policies
- Commercial Policies
- Excess Policies
- Umbrella Policies
- First-Party Claims
- Third-Party Claims
As the South Carolina representative and board member of Insuralex, a worldwide network of lawyers specializing in insurance and reinsurance matters, David regularly travels to London to meet with and speak to clients and others in the Lloyds of London market, as well as other significant insurance and reinsurance markets in the United States and abroad.
In addition to his commitment to his insurance practice, David dedicates a large portion of his practice to transportation and trucking law. As a member of the trucking team, David regularly handles cases related to catastrophic injury claims.
David also frequently coordinates emergency response to trucking and other transportation accidents. He handles all issues that arise from the initial response to the accident to the post-accident investigation to the litigation of these incidents.
David’s nearly 30 years of legal experience has allowed him to develop an excellent rapport with his clients. He works closely with his clients to achieve the best possible outcome and provide a level of client service consistent with an attorney of his stature.
Associations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Member – Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Greenville County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association, President, 2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Chair of the Professional Negligence Committee, 2013-2014
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) – Advocate
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- 4th Circuit Bar
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers – Honoree 2010-2019
- Best Lawyers, 2009 to Present
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Lawyer of the Year – Greenville, Insurance Law 2012, 2015, 2017
- Lawyer of the Year (Defendants)- Greenville, Personal Injury Litigation, 2014
- Martindale Hubbell
- AV Rated, 2003-Present
- Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law, 2013
- Top Rated Lawyer in Transportation Law, 2013
- Legal Elite – Personal Injury & Insurance Law, Greenville Business Magazine, 2015
- Legal Elite – Insurance Law, Greenville Business Magazine, 2014
- Church Council, Finance Committee, Buncombe Street United Methodist Church
- Past President Greenville County Easter Seals
- Past Board Member Greenville County Clemson Club
- Greenville County Bar
- South Carolina, 1989
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1989
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1989
- B.S. Clemson University, 1981
Testimonial - Person
John Quincy Adams
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.