Breon C. M. Walker is a litigation attorney and partner in the firm’s Columbia, South Carolina, office. She has a diverse legal practice which includes the defense of personal injury claims, products liability defense, commercial litigation, and government relations. Breon has years of trial experience in state and appellate courts that dates back to her time as an Assistant Attorney General.
As a member of the firm’s tort and personal injury team, Breon regularly defends insurers, self-insured corporations, and third-party risk managers in complex litigation involving tort liability and risk management issues. Breon is also an accomplished products liability defense attorney often representing clients in mass tort and catastrophic loss claims related to the manufacturing, design, and sale of consumer products and their alleged defects.
Breon has extensive trial experience beginning with her days as an Assistant Attorney General for South Carolina. As a result of this experience, she has effectively tried both criminal and civil cases. Breon’s most recent trials have involved defending individuals and entities in personal injury (auto tort) cases, premises liability cases, and matters involving professional negligence. Examples of these cases include:
- A two week trial in Lexington County defending a real estate company over the plaintiff’s attempted purchase of commercial property (La Casa Real Estate and Investments, LLC and Bobby Slate v. Andrew A. Aun, et al.). The plaintiff in the case demanded $1.8 million in damages and was awarded nothing after the defense obtained a defense verdict.
- Breon represented an Orangeburg County corporation accused of false imprisonment and malicious prosecution (Meredith Huffman, Appellant v. Sunshine Recycling, LLC and Aiken Electric Cooperative, Inc, Respondents). Breon successfully argued and obtained summary judgment on behalf of her client in circuit court. The plaintiff sought review of the circuit court’s order granting summary judgment, and argued there were genuine issues of material facts concerning whether the defendant caused, instigated, or procured the plaintiff’s arrest. This matter is currently under appeal.
Breon also provides government relations and public affairs services to clients, and represents major business interests throughout South Carolina before both state and local government bodies. Breon was born and raised in Columbia, where she returned to practice law following her graduation from law school. Because of her long-standing ties to the community, Breon understands state and local government issues and advises clients on how to properly navigate the political landscape. Breon has represented clients on issues related to:
- Commercial Real Estate
- Community Development
- Served as general counsel to county school boards throughout South Carolina
An experienced speaker, Breon has prepared and presented seminars for clients and colleagues on statutory compliance, case law developments, and effective witness preparation. She is a member of the South Carolina Bar, the South Carolina Black Lawyers’ Association, the National Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and the Richland County Bar Association, on which she served as the Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers’ Division from 2009-2014. Breon is also a member of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association’s (“SCDTAA”) Board of Directors and was 2013-2014 Editor-in-Chief of the SCDTAA’s publication, The Defense Line.
Walker’s dedication to her practice has led to recognitions by respected legal organizations and her peers including:
- Benchmark Litigation “Rising Stars Under 40” – 2016
- South Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star” – 2012 to Present
- National Bar Association as one of the “Nation’s Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40” – 2013
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly as one of South Carolina’s “Top Ten Emerging Legal Leaders” – 2011
Past results and testimonials from clients are not to be taken as a representation that the same or similar results can be obtained by the firm in the future.
Associations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Black Lawyers’ Association
– Board of Directors
- National Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
– Former Co-Chair of the YLD Division
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
– Executive Committee
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- South Carolina Chamber’s Diversity Council
Honors and Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hotlist, 2016
- Nation’s Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40 by the National Bar Association, 2013
- The Defense Line, SCDTAA Publication, Editor-in-Chief, 2013-2014
- Super Lawyers, South Carolina Rising Star, 2012 to Present
- Gary Walker Memorial Scholar Recipient, 2010
- South Carolina’s Emerging Legal Leaders Top 10 – 2011 South Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Richland-Lexington Airport Commission Board Member, City of Columbia
- 701 Center for Contemporary Art, Board of Directors
- March of Dimes African-American Achievement Award, Member, Executive Leadership Team
- The Links, Inc.
- Leadership Columbia, 2010-2011
- South Carolina, 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2003
- B.S., University of South Carolina Honors College, 2000
Testimonial - Person
To wear your heart on your sleeve isn’t a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.