John Hudson is a shareholder in the firm’s Columbia, South Carolina, office and is currently the leader of the firm’s professional liability team. He concentrates his practice on a range of litigation and administrative matters related primarily to professional negligence, tort and personal injury, and construction claims, as well as professional and business licensure.
John has represented local, regional, and national companies and business entities, as well as individuals, in state and federal courts. He has tried over 35 cases to verdict and has served as lead counsel on several multi-million dollar wrongful death and survival claims.
John currently devotes a significant portion of his practice to professional liability defense with a particular emphasis on dental and medical malpractice matters. These matters often include but are not limited to claims alleging:
- Wrongful Death
- Anesthesia/Sedation Mismanagement
- Nerve Damage
- Improper Implant Placement
- Wrongful Extraction
- Lack of Informed Consent
- TMJ Dysfunction
- Negligent Root Canal Treatment
- Loss of Consortium
- Failure to Diagnose
John also routinely represents dentists and oral surgeons in administrative investigations conducted by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation as well as contested hearings before the South Carolina Board of Dentistry concerning alleged violations of the South Carolina Dental Practice Act. John also has experience representing physicians before the Board of Medical Examiners, pharmacists before the Board of Pharmacy, and engineers before the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors. He also represents various types of professionals, though primarily healthcare providers, in investigations conducted by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.
On the healthcare front, John frequently reviews and negotiates employment agreements and other contracts for physicians and other healthcare providers. He provides counseling to clients on the National Practitioner Data Bank reporting requirements, and he also handles CMS survey appeals.
In addition to his professional liability work, John’s practice also involves an array of commercial general liability defense work including product and premises liability defense.
John’s years of legal service have provided him with the knowledge that client satisfaction is of the utmost importance. He listens to the concerns of the client and appreciates the fact that responsiveness to those concerns combined with wise legal counsel often results in exceeding client expectations.
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Physicians Insurers Association of America
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
Honors and Awards
- Legal Elite – Insurance Law, Columbia Business Monthly, 2015
- Best Lawyers in America
- Insurance Law, 2015 to Present
- Litigation – Insurance, 2016 to Present
- Legal Elite – Healthcare, Columbia Business Monthly, 2013
- United Way of the Midlands
- YMCA Youth Soccer Coach
- Eastminster Presbyterian Church, Deacon
- South Carolina, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 2000
- B.A., Davidson College, 1995
- Woodberry Forest School, 1991
Testimonial - Person
It is a good practice to leave a few things unsaid.